Jack O'Lanterns (7 Photos)
Carol Zarudenec Smith for local2 sault ste. marie
October 23rd, 2012 at 2:29pm | Last Updated at 2:42pm
The first thing you must do is pick that perfect pumpkin for you to sculpt. Once the lid is cut off and the inside flesh is removed, it’s time to decide what design you’d like to use. Some people prefer the usual happy face pumpkin while others choose a more sinister, scary face. There are also those who delight in carving very intricate designs or scenes that take considerable time and care to complete. Whichever your favourite face or pattern is, it’s entertaining for young and old alike to draw a pattern directly onto the pumpkin or use a design and pick around it into the pumpkin as a guide to follow when carving. Once completed, the lid is replaced and it’s proudly displayed in your special spot. Some pumpkins are illuminated by light from wax candles while others have artificial lights inside either battery operated or plug-in. This light accentuates the carving on the pumpkin and gives it an eerie glow.
Others like Michael Legacy prefers to grow his own pumpkins each year and chooses a favourite one to carve. His wife, Gloria, takes this opportunity to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. Nothing tastes better than that!
My brother John, makes permanent pumpkin designs. He cuts his wood in the shape of a pumpkin. Then he uses a scroll saw to cut out his chosen traced pattern. When completed, he paints the pumpkin orange and adds felt in different colours to enhance the cut out like red for Dracula or green for Frankenstein. He takes pride in his end results that will last for years. I have some of his pieces and it's a tradition to display them annually for Hallowe’en.
So whether this is the first time you’re carving a pumpkin with your child or the tenth time for yourself, have fun and enjoy your creation.
- Essar posts 2013 fiscal results, and they aren't pretty
- James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) Dies From Heart Attack
- Dumping in a wetland? Sunnyside residents clash at heated Conservation Authority meeting
- Ed Buchan passes away after life of service to country and community
- Two arrested for being where they weren't supposed to be
- Queen Elizabeth elementary students went golfing today!
- Take your kids to the Kidz Summer Safety Festival on Sunday
- Get shredded and stop identity theft at Crime Stoppers event Saturday
- Civics U13 Girls Red kick off 2013 season in Petoskey
- This video clip will be hilarious for some and horrifying for others
- Jack Ostroski Sr. posthumously honoured by Ontario Federation of Labour
- Huge pet food recall following positive salmonella test
- SSMAC awards ceremony celebrates 2012-2013 - Photos
- Algoma U Thunderbirds holding summer sports camps
- A Beauty In Ward Two!
- General Meeting of Sault Ratepayers