Hefty Fines For Shooting Deer Decoy From Vehicle
LOCAL2 Staff for local2 sault ste. marie
September 19th, 2012 at 10:58am
An Echo Bay man has been fined a total of $2,500 for illegal hunting after he shot at a deer decoy from a vehicle.
Kevin Duchesne of Echo Bay pleaded guilty to three charges and was fined $1,000 for discharging a firearm from a vehicle, $1,000 for the careless use of a firearm and $500 for trespassing to hunt. He was also banned from hunting in Ontario for five years and was ordered to re-take the Ontario Hunter Education Course.
Court heard that on November 19, 2011, Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officers set up a white-tailed deer decoy in a privately owned farm field in Aberdeen Township, in the Algoma District. Conservation officers had received several complaints from members of the public about illegal hunting activity in the area.
During the decoy operation, Duchesne fired at the deer decoy from inside his vehicle. He did not have permission from the owner to hunt in the field. After firing the shot he fled the scene and threw his rifle from the vehicle. The rifle was recovered by the ministry’s Canine Services Unit.
Justice of the Paula J. Nichols heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Sault Ste. Marie, on September 6, 2012.
To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
- Crime of the Week: Multiple violent home invasions
- How about taking a ghost walk in the Sault?
- Legalizing Prostitution: Local and National Consequences
- NDP says government ignoring housing crisis
- Ground broken for latest development at Sault College (photo)
- Car stopped going 167km/h. Driver was seeing what new car could do
- Growing petition takes aim at puppy mills' use of Kijiji classifieds
- Nice Friend - Not!
- Sault soccer team wins provincial tournament! (photo)
- The Debt Doctor: What spending personality are you?
- Letter: McDonald Park The Battle Continues
- Two People Who Want To Smell Nice
- The BUZZ - Tuesday, June 18
- Hounds Acquire Watling from Storm
- What You Need To Know About The International Bridge Walk
- Several Businesses Hit With Break-Ins