Famed Chef Cooks Up Meals For Hungry Students
Thomas Pink for local2 sault ste. marie
August 14th, 2012 at 12:47pm
Suhs, who has been regularly featured on northern Michigan television for many years, is owner of the 3-star European Café in Cadillac, Mich.
LSSU Walker Cisler Center Manager and Food Service Director Ray Schebel said several special guests in addition to Chef Hermann will attend the event to help the Sault Area Chamber of Commerce Redcoats cut the opening ribbon, including representatives of Sodexo Group, LSSU's food service provider.
Schebel said the renovation is a major improvement to the Walker Cisler Student and Conference Center, which has been remodeled extensively over the past few years. He and others visited three universities that had recently undergone similar cafeteria improvements to find out what students liked and didn't like about their renovations. The discussions helped form LSSU's plan for the Quarterdeck.
"The renovations include improved seating and new cooking and serving areas," Schebel said. "We now have booths in addition to standard tables and chairs, and serving areas that will allow some of the meals to be cooked in front of the students. There is also an area that can be used as a stage for performances during or after meals. We believe it will be a more inviting and comfortable area for our students."
New food areas include Bella Trattoria, with Italian-style cooking, including pizzas, pastas, lasagna, and more; the Wild Mushroom, which features fresh produce, gluten-free and vegetarian entrees; Basic Kneads, a hot/cold deli sandwich spot; Magellan's, which will include foods from around the world, some familiar and some new; and the Red Hot Chef, a station where food will be prepared in front of the diners. The Flying Star Grill will include familiar favorites of burgers, fries, grilled sandwiches and deep-fried items.
"Our Rotisserie area will feature slow-roasted meats and vegetables, as well as having accompaniments to make a complete meal," Schebel said. "This area will also allow us to promote take-out meals for anyone wanting a meal to go."
Schebel said his staff is excited to have Chef Hermann come to campus. Noted for his cooking show on northern Michigan television station TV 9/10, Suhs has operated Hermann's European Café in Cadillac since 1985. Born in Austria, where he was apprenticed for five years in Vienna, he has been employed around the world as a chef, including positions in Sweden, where he earned his master chef certificate, Thailand, the Caribbean Islands and Nepal, where he was personal chef to the King of Nepal.
Suhs came to the U.S. in 1978, where he worked in Florida at Innisbrook Resort, one of the nation's larges convention resorts, and Hawk's Cay Resort, where his dining room earned a AAA Three Diamond acclaim. He was executive chef at Grand Traverse Resort in Traverse City before opening his restaurant in Cadillac.
Sodexo paid for the Quarterdeck remodeling as part of a 10-year extension of its contract on campus that calls for $750,000 in improvements to LSSU food service facilities. Construction took place over the summer, while LSSU students, summer camp visitors and staff ate in a large tent set up outside the Cisler Center.
Read more about Chef Hermann at chefhermann.com. See more about LSSU Food Services at lssu.edu/foodserv.
- Essar posts 2013 fiscal results, and they aren't pretty
- James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) Dies From Heart Attack
- Dumping in a wetland? Sunnyside residents clash at heated Conservation Authority meeting
- Ed Buchan passes away after life of service to country and community
- Two arrested for being where they weren't supposed to be
- Queen Elizabeth elementary students went golfing today!
- Take your kids to the Kidz Summer Safety Festival on Sunday
- Get shredded and stop identity theft at Crime Stoppers event Saturday
- Civics U13 Girls Red kick off 2013 season in Petoskey
- This video clip will be hilarious for some and horrifying for others
- Jack Ostroski Sr. posthumously honoured by Ontario Federation of Labour
- Huge pet food recall following positive salmonella test
- SSMAC awards ceremony celebrates 2012-2013 - Photos
- Algoma U Thunderbirds holding summer sports camps
- A Beauty In Ward Two!
- General Meeting of Sault Ratepayers