Sault Engineering Firm Provided Last Report On Algo Centre Mall - Now Named in Class Action Lawsuit
Craig Huckerby for local2 sault ste. marie
July 12th, 2012 at 11:19am
A Sault Ste. Marie engineering firm has been named in a class action lawsuit regarding the Elliot Lake Algo Mall Centre Roof Collapse.
M.R. Wright & Associates provided two engineering reports stemming back 2009 and the most recent one in 2012. In both reports the firm reported that the mall was "structurally sound"
VIDEO SHOWS THE MALL SHORTLY AFTER THE COLLAPSE ON JUNE 23
It is believed that the last report filed this year by M.R. Wright & Associates was the last one done for the mall. On June 23 a large portion of the roof top mall collapsed , with debris falling two floors down crashing into a busy food court area. Two Elliot Lake residents were killed, several others were injured.
A $30 million class action lawsuit was filed last week by the victims of the roof collapse.
Several hundred mall employees have been off the job since June 23. The Mall remains closed.
Also included in the lawsuit is Eastwood Mall Inc., which owns the Algo Centre Mall, and Robert Nazarian, the head of Eastwood Mall. The City of Elliot Lake and The Government of Ontario.
Douglas Elliott, of the firm Roy Elliott O’Connor LLP, of Toronto representing the victims, believes that the engineering firm "got it wrong" and told media that a proper inspection would have revealed the problems with the mall roof.
Elliott is calling on the Premier to negotiate a voluntarily compensation package for residents.
- Take your kids to the Kidz Summer Safety Festival on Sunday
- Get shredded and stop identity theft at Crime Stoppers event Saturday
- Civics U13 Girls Red kick off 2013 season in Petoskey
- This video clip will be hilarious for some and horrifying for others
- Jack Ostroski Sr. posthumously honoured by Ontario Federation of Labour
- Huge pet food recall following positive salmonella test
- SSMAC awards ceremony celebrates 2012-2013 - Photos
- Algoma U Thunderbirds holding summer sports camps