The Sault Ste. Marie YMCA will join YMCAs across Canada in hosting YMCA Healthy Kids Day. Designed to help kids and families embrace healthy habits that can become a lifelong practice, this community event will focus on fun and engaging activities, practical information and simple ways to be healthier in spirit, mind and body.
Across Canada, most children do not meet recommended levels of daily physical activity. Rising rates of obesity and related chronic disease tell us that getting kids active should be a top priority for parents, schools, and all Canadians. “Our children’s health is very important to us. Our aim is to show families, children and youth that making healthy choices can be fun and easy,” says Kim Caruso, Interim CEO, at the Sault YMCA. “And we hope the children and families who attend this event will share what they learn with their friends and other family members,” adds Brent Pusch, Manager, Health Fitness and Recreation.
Although the YMCA models and incorporates healthy practices into its programs and activities for children and youth year round, YMCA Healthy Kids Day places special emphasis on teaching children and youth and their families about exploring healthy living habits that will make a difference throughout the year.
The Sault Ste. Marie YMCA will be hosting YMCA Healthy Kids Day Sunday June 3, 2012, from 12:30 – 2:30pm.
· Specific YMCA Healthy Kids Day activities at the Sault YMCA include:
· Organized Sports - ˝ Court Soccer and ˝ Court Basketball
· Family Fun Time – Activity Centre Obstacle Course
· Family and Recreation Swim - 1:30 - 8:00 pm
· 15-Minute Fitness - Try Zumba, Yoga and Dance
· Health Snack Break - Free fresh fruit, veggies and popcorn to revitalize in between activities!
· RESP – Awareness and Education Workshop 1:00- 2:30pm Kids learn about RESP Savings while making their own savings bank to bring home.
· Healthy Choices Workshop 2:15 – 3:00 pm Presented by Carly Smith of our YMCA Youth Gambling Awareness Program
Sault Ste. Marie YMCA is a charity dedicated to the health of individuals and communities that serves over 6000 people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities through all stages of life. We offer our participants opportunities for healthy living, personal growth, and community involvement. In keeping with our commitment to inclusiveness and accessibility, the Sault YMCA offers financial assistance programs to members of our community with lower incomes. The YMCA in Canada is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body.
- Fun Stuff
- Real Estate
- Used Cars
- Gift Guide
- Pay It Forward
National YMCA Healthy Kids Day – June 3, 2012
Brandy Sharpe for local2 sault ste. marie
May 29th, 2012 at 4:08pm